Accreditation For Online Schools in the United Kingdom and Sophia High School
Online education for young children, especially those in years one through nine, is on the rise in the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom has the 2nd highest number of homeschooled children in the world after the United States. Even before the pandemic, numbers were on the rise. Between 2015 and 2018, the number of children participating in some sort of homeschool curriculum increased by a whopping 40%. Sophia High School offers cutting edge online school for children and is on the forefront of accreditation initiatives in the UK for online schools.
What Will the Accreditation Process For Online Schools Look Like?
The Department for Education (DfE) recently set up a new accreditation program that will be available in January 2022. Sophia High School was one of four online schools invited to participate in the initial survey. To receive an accreditation, applying schools will have to:
- Teach online on a primary basis.
- Be the main or only source of a child’s education.
- Have physical presence in the UK and have at least one student who is enrolled from the United Kingdom.
What Does Accreditation For Online Schools Ensure?
Accreditation for online schools in the UK ensures that students get access to simply the best education that is possible for them, like at Sophia High School. Some of the things that the accreditation process will look at includes:
- The quality of the curriculum and of the teaching.
- The overall development of the pupils.
- Safeguarding of the wellbeing of students.
- Inspection and oversight of the educational service being offered.
Sophia High School participated in a pilot inspection as part of the online accreditation scheme with Her Majesty’s Inspectorate. The pilot inspection found that students (and parents for that matter) were extremely happy and made excellent progress throughout the curriculum.
How Sophia High School Offers the Best Online School Experience For Students Possible
At Sophia High School, students receive a robust online school curriculum as well as access to extracurricular activities that support a sense of community. For example, our educational process is driven by the International Primary Curriculum, which lends itself very well to the online setting. Our curriculum, for students of all ages, is:
- Adaptable to a student’s interest and level of understanding.
- Designed so that students’ learning needs are met in a creative and engaging way.
- Structured and simple, yet focused on meeting individual learning goals.
- Done in a way that allows students to interact with their instructors and one another.
- Reflective in the sense that students and teachers both participate in assessment, helping students better understand their level of skills and knowledge.
Safeguarding is also the most important principle when creating the online learning community at Sophia High School. Safeguarding is also one of the most important aspects of the new Online Accreditation Scheme coming in January of 2022.
What Does Accreditation Mean For Sophia High School Students?
Sophia High School’s participation in the preliminary consultation for the Online Accreditation Scheme means that students, in the UK and in other countries, get access to the best online education possible. We are also the trendsetter in delivering the highest quality online education for children in years one through nine. Enroll in our program today to give your child the opportunity to learn in a comfortable environment and become a global citizen.